Our app uses the LocationManager to request ongoing updates from the onboard
GPS service.  GPS is notoriously power-hungry, and I'd love to gain some
insight from Google Engineers on how to best use GPS in our app to prevent
too much battery waste in usage on the actual G1 device.

Can a Google Engineer comment on:

a) How much difference it makes (if any) to power consumption whether the
minimum time between GPS update requests (i.e. 1 sec between updates vs. 20
secs between updates) is short or long?  Will that make a difference to an
application running for example, over a few hours?  Or is the power
consumption the same as long as the relevant LocationProvider is enabled?

b) How you can actually "turn off" the GPS, in terms of its power
consumption.  Will a call to to removeUpdates() or removeProximityAlerts()
be enough, or must the relevant LocationProvider be disabled (ie through
System.Settings)?

Thanks!

Jeff