Fellow ZDNet blogger Jason Perlow helped a friend and colleague buy a
new PC and migrate her data and settings from

the old machine (Windows XP) to the new one (Windows Vista). He
documents the process in The New Adventures of

Christine’s Old PC.

I tip my hat to Jason for his dedication to a friend, but as someone
who has been doing this for years, I shook my head at

the way he turned what should be a straightforward procedure into a
weekend-long geekfest, complete with the

transformation of the old, slow, obsolete, spyware-ridden computer
into a virtual machine on the new one. In my

opinion, that’s overkill for everyone involved.

http://www.microsoftblog.info/