I want to know how can we check the permissions on a folder? like the /
data folder at android's root, if we create a file browser and click
on it, it will show us nothing because we don't have permissions to
view it's content as a user.  so what i want to do is, i want to
display a message to user that you can't see the content of this
folder, or something like this.

There is canRead() function in java api, but it always returns
true...

I also tried listFiles().length because it returns 0 for "/data"
folder.  But if i create a new folder in sdcard and click on it first
time then also listFiles().length will be 0 and user will see that you
can not see the containts of this folder.  I know i can check the path
of the folder and check that whether it's path starts with sdcard or
not and then do appropriate option.

But does anybody have tried anything which directly tells you that the
folder has files/folders in it but you don't have permissions.

thanks,
Payal