I use an app for my Palm Treo called KeyCaps.  It allows you to
configure two key actions for every app on the phone.  The first is
holding a key down.  I have this set to capitalize the character.  The
second is pressing the key twice quickly, which changes the character
entered to the Alt entry for that key.

For example, using the screen shots of the G1 so far, if I held down
the "i" key, then it would type in "I" instead.  However, if I "double-
clicked" on the "i" key, it would type in "-" instead.

I'd really like to write this app for Android, but I haven't been able
to figure out how so far.  I know you can capture key events within
your own application, but is there anyway to intercept key events in
other applications in the current API?

Thanks,
Eric