I can't really say I agree that unit tests should only be run on the target
platform, although of course it does need to be tested on the platform. A
lot of unit tests are pretty darn useful for catching bugs outside of a
Dalvik environment. I often write Java code on one platform, say Windows,
and then test it out on Linux, perfectly natural.
Also, I like to run my debugger in my IDE but if I tie into in the
most trivial of Android classes, I can't do that anymore, a run-time
exception appears.

Maybe since I'm not using Eclipse, the Android team's way of building
doesn't seem as necessary or productive to me.

Shane