Not sure. But here is some analysis and a guess

Consider the following code in one of the samples

TypeFace mFace = Typeface.createFromAsset(
                                              getContext().getAssets(),
                                              "font/samplefont.ttf");

The directory and file "font/samplefont.ttf" exists in the sub
directory of "assets".

Although most sample applications seem to have an empty assets
directory, the idea of assets seem to be tightly plugged into
Resources.

The class "AssetManager" indicates that this allows to read "raw"
files from this sub directory.

In short the answer may be that all "raw" files that you want to read
you want to place them in this subdirectory as the path to the
AssetManager is off this root path.

For more see the "open" method of the AssetManager class.

Hope that helps
Satya