After much searching, I found what is the culprit...its a
PopupWindow.  AbsListView always shows this PopupWindow when the
filter text is set.  It is translucent, but completely blocks any
touch events going to views behind it.

There is currently NO way to turn this off.  There is no xml attribute
to set on list, showPopup() is private and dismissPopup() is package
private.

I would like to turn this off and currently there is no way.  Opening
an API request to make this configurable.

http://code.google.com/p/android/issues/detail?id=936