> 1. What is the exact purpose of Intent class?

Here's a good overview:
http://code.google.com/android/reference/android/content/Intent.html

There's a good discussion on intents and notepad here:
http://groups.google.com/group/android-beginners/browse_frm/thread/31e6ecd386b29cbe

> 2. Why do we pass this Intent object to
> startActivityForResult(i, ACTIVITY_CREATE); method.

The intents i defines what which activity is being called next.
ACTIVITY_CREATE is just a number so you know which activity returned a
result later.

> 3. What happens at the end of startActivityForResult(i,
> ACTIVITY_CREATE); method, which method is getting called after that?

See activity life-cycle here:
http://code.google.com/android/reference/android/app/Activity.html
The current activity is paused, and another activity is created.

> 4. What is the purpose of  onActivityResult(int requestCode, int
> resultCode, Intent intent) method??

After the new activity closed, your original activity is called again.
This function is called for you so that you can see the result.

Apart from the examples in the official documentation, here is a nice
list of available intents ;-)
http://www.openintents.org/en/intentstable

Would this answer your questions?

Peli