The size limit is: keep it as small as possible.  Definitely don't put
a bitmap in there unless it is no larger than an icon (32x32 or
whatever).

Regardless of the size limit, having a lot of data in there is going
to have a pretty big performance impact, since it needs to first go to
the activity manager process, which holds on to it the -entire- time
the user can return to the new activity (so that it can be re-created
with the same intent), and then copied in to the process of the new
activity (which may or may not be your own).

Small is good!