We're investigating the possibility of creating a smart phone
application that uses the GSM network to determine the location of the
phone.

We will study different methods of calculating positions and to do
that we need extensive data about the network such as IDs, signal
strengths, etc of cell towers, not just of the currently connected one
but of all visible towers. Does the Android API allow us to get these?

The class 'android.location.LocationManager' seems to provide the
functionality to do get a position via the network. The JavaDoc of the
constant NETWORK_PROVIDER (http://code.google.com/android/reference/
android/location/LocationManager.html#NETWORK_PROVIDER) states
"Results are retrieved by means of a network lookup.". What does this
mean? How is the positioning done technically?

Thanks.