I can see how this would be percieved as being spec work - though for
it to be spec work that would imply that there would be a 'full
budget' outside of this to pay for this kind of development.

There isn't. The contest is structured to support the DC tech
community and beyond...it's the first time The District's CTO is
opening up to letting individuals and small companies provide
solutions to their big challenges in an open manner rather than
issuing a multimillion dollar contact to a big contractor like IBM or
Lockheed or something.

The last point I'd add is that this is about 'saving our own
money'...we pay taxes and those taxes are unwisely spent by the
government in paying way to much for crappy IT projects...so if we as
a community of developers in DC (or outside of it) can provide a
better way to get things like this done...is this 'spec work'? No.
It's a better way of innovating for .gov and a great way for .gov to
support tech communities.