I'm probably missing something obvious, so I apologize if
this is a dumb question.

Once I've registered callbacks using Camera.takePicture(),
what does my application need to do to have those callbacks
called?

As near as I've been able to tell, the callback is executed
during a camera preview, or by the user actually taking a
picture using the native camera application.

But I don't want to start a preview or launch the native camera
application.  All I want is the raw image data from the camera
hardware.

Is there a way to do this?

Thank you!