yes, but the issue is whether the encoding is chunky or planar, and
whether the chrominence values are signed. the "SP" on the end of the
format implies both, but my decoder isn't having much luck either way.

ffmpeg is a command line program. i'm trucking through the source,
but some of it reads a little like Martian :-)

thanks for the response. it's no big deal, i can keep trucking. i
hoped someone on the 'droid team could provide a quick authoritative
answer.