I have progressed this far......

Using "android.test.InstrumentationTestCase" in a unit test and running from
a shell could help simulate key press action.
Observe:public void sendKeys(int... keys) Sends a series of key events
through instrumentation and waits for idle. For instance:
sendKeys(KEYCODE_DPAD_LEFT, KEYCODE_DPAD_CENTER).

This is all available on
http://code.google.com/android/reference/android/test/InstrumentationTestCase.html

My problem now: I do not know how to do unit testing in the Android env. Any
clues?

Regards