When the screen goes off, the device goes to sleep. This means that
the main CPU shuts off. You can prevent this by holding a wakelock.
WARNING: Holding a wake lock for a substantial period of time will
have a terrible effect on battery life. Android achieves better
battery life by doing as little as possible and sleeping as much as
possible. Please consider the best interests of your users when doing
things that will adversely effect their experience.

Cheers,
Justin
Android Team @ Google