ok I have solved my issue

I kept the        android:configChanges="orientation"       setting so
as to prevent webview from reloading.

While for the image view

public void      onConfigurationChanged(Configuration  newConfig)
        {
                super.onConfigurationChanged(newConfig);

                if(newConfig.orientation==1) //portrait
                {
                        ImageView iv =
(ImageView)findViewById(R.id.ImageView01);
                        iv.setImageResource(R.drawable.xyz);
                }
                else //landscape
                {
                        ImageView iv =
(ImageView)findViewById(R.id.ImageView01);
                        iv.setImageResource(R.drawable.xyzlandscape);
                }
        }