OK, this is interesting.  I now have a series of users who are
reporting a work around / temporary fix for the issue.

A few of our users are reporting that if they power off their phones
and eject the battery, wait a few minutes, and turn it back on again -
the problem clears up (at least for a little while).  This seems to me
to be a problem with the phone - but who knows.  No root cause
identified yet.

None of the users have rooted phones or custom ROM images.

Side note: We have decided to find a new way to do things and drop
this DeviceID stuff all together.  It is a pity that Android does not
seem to have any reliable UUID per device.

-- Josh