As far as I recall, GPL3 closed the loophole on the specific case that
Naveen outlined, as this was considered not in the spirit of GPL2. People
were using remote connections get around the concept of binary linking.  I
only read one of the early drafts, not sure if that was in the final.

On Fri, Jun 25, 2010 at 1:53 PM, Anton Persson <don.juan...@gmail.com>wrote:

> Well, to connect to a MySQL database you need a connector, and the
> connector library shipped with MySQL is under GPL. Which is what I meant.
> And, hence, corporations buy licenses from MySQL to avoid having to release
> their applications under the GPL. (If you still don't believe me, try
> explaining the reason why they HAVE a dual license model... If they only
> wanted to sell support and indemnification, a separate paid-for license
> would NOT be needed... See Red Hat for an example of how that works..)
>
> And; the INTENT of MySQL is that if you use the GPL version of the MySQL
> database, your application should also be GPL. But, of course, there are
> loopholes. However, using these loopholes in a way that is obviously a
> "circumvention" is against this INTENT.
>
> If you want people to respect YOUR intellectual property, you should
> respect others as well, and not exploit their software in an unintended
> manner.
>
>   Regards
>      Anton
>

> On Fri, Jun 25, 2010 at 10:04 PM, Fabrizio Giudici <
> fabrizio.giud...@tidalwave.it> wrote:

>> --
>>

>  --

Shane Isbell (Founder of ZappMarket)