Forget about mipmapping for now - that's a different kind of
distortion.  I'm talking about taking an image that's 100x100 and
putting it into a space that's 150x100, then drawing it back out at
100x100.  The user will never know that it was stored at a different
aspect ratio because so long as you draw it how it should be, you're
good.

Here's a good exercise:

Create your texture in photoshop or your favorite image editor.  Make
the texture 1024x1024 and shove 6 different images onto it.  Now, drop
guidelines down to the edges of the images and switch your info to
percentages.  Write down all of the percentages that your guides are
at.  If you do 2 rows of 3, it will be 0, 50 and 100 for the y and 0,
33.3, 66.6, 100 for the x.  Those will then become your UVs.

Change your cube app to use those hardcoded UVs, eg:

// face 0 counterclockwise winding
0,0
0,.5f
.333f,.5f
.333f,0,
// face 1 ccw winding

Get that working with you manually entering all of the geometry and UV
data.  Once you figure out how to make that work, you can probably
come up with an automated way of doing what you want :)