On Tue, Jul 6, 2010 at 6:15 AM, Mark Carter <mjc1...@googlemail.com> wrote:
> I noticed that (on Froyo) when viewing Google Maps using the Market
> app (or going through Manage Applications), there is a button to
> "Uninstall Updates". I haven't seen this for any other app (but I
> haven't looked that hard either).

If I had to guess, this is because Maps comes on the firmware and can
be updated via the Market. They label it "Uninstall Updates" because
removing the Market package would result in you still having the Maps
app, just back to the firmware edition.

> Is this functionality available to the rest of us devs?

If you ship as part of phone firmware, presumably yes. For example,
the device manufacturer might ship 1.0 of your app but tell you to
push updates via the Market for 1.1, 1.1b, System 3000, Mark V, and
1.1c of your app.

Note, though, that this is an educated guess, based on a few
conversations, with only a passing resemblance to absolute assurance.

--
Mark Murphy (a Commons Guy)

_Android Programming Tutorials_ Version 2.8 Available!