I am doing much as you are considering: using a G1 for development,
only rarely putting my AT&T sim into it. I usually connect by WiFi.

My impressions of the G1, based on this one unit only, are: 1) it is
rather slow, often to the point of being unresponsive to UI 2) WiFi
connection is NOT reliable 3) I am very underwhelmed by the way they
implement the trackball: it is just silly how far I have to roll it
before it goes to the next line of text (or whatever). 4) both the
accelerometer and the switch detecting when the keyboard has been slid
out are unreliable. 5) battery life is OK as long as you don't try to
use it:( The WiFi is the major culprit for draining the battery. Keep
that off and the battery will last a good long time.

Despite all that, I am finding it quite workable for development. Of
course, it helps that my apps to date have not made extensive use of
the network. But it has the right screen size for testing your Views
to make sure they work on most phones in both orientations. Of course,
you should not rely on this alone, you should test in the simulator
for other sizes/densities and both orientations.