DOM consumes memory and creates load of object (for big XML files),
but DOM is easy to work with.  SAX is event driven, but programming
modell is awkward.
There is pull XML parser in android though -  like SAX but you are in
control.

But usually you like to have you objects out of XML - so you will need
kind of databinding tool
(unfortunately there is  not one in android)

XStream is easy to use, but not really small.

I decided to use JSON in my apps, and wrote small databinding library:

http://github.com/ko5tik/jsonserializer

It works well on even relatively big JSON files (highscore lists with
1000 entries )