I posted this on Stack Overflow and didn't get an answer. Anybody here
have an answer?

"I would like to detect if the navigation keys of the front of the
phone (Home,Menu,Back,Search) are hard-keys (ex. G1) or soft-keys (ex.
Nexus One).

This api
http://d.android.com/reference/android/content/res/Configuration.html#keyboard
gets close but is related to the keyboard and not the front facing
keys.

KeyEvent (http://d.android.com/reference/android/view/KeyEvent.html)
has a FLAG_VIRTUAL_HARD_KEY flag, I can only detect that after the key
is pressed. I'd like to find out what type of buttons the user has
without asking the user to press a key first.

I would have expected such an api to be under
http://d.android.com/reference/android/hardware/package-summary.html
but android.hardware has very little info about the actual hardware of
the device."