My wife's phone has swipe built in and the phone keypad has all the buttons
I need.

I emailed SE and they seem pretty clueless so far, I've followed up asking
them to direct me to their android development staff, because their android
page just points users to general android help.  And their emulator setup
does not include their IME...       not fun...

I can understand why Android would want to make the IME a system wide
setting, but I'm surprised there's no permission that I can declare for my
app to set the default IME to the default android one.   Does this not
exist?