When you compile you won't be able to use any APIs introduced after
your target SDK.

It won't prevent your app from appearing on earlier devices, that's
purely down to the your minimum SDK chosen.

Of course make sure you test on the the minimum SDK you define - to
check your app behavior and check you haven't used any APIs that were
introduced in later versions.