That is not the only difference. When people use the terminology
correctly and follow the distinctions correctly, we also see that
media streaming is fully seekable while progressively downloaded media
is not. Also, they have different performance characteristics under
low bandwidth conditions (see below).

For that matter, both progressive download and streaming allow storage
of the media to the local hard drive; the difference is that in the
latter, it is never available all at one time, so it is harder to
steal the IP.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Progressive_download#HTTP_Progressive_Download_versus_Streaming_Media
has a pretty good summary of the difference.

The summary at
http://www.dncompute.com/blog/2006/05/04/flash-video-streaming-vs-progressive-download.html
mentions the superior support for seek in streaming, but since it is
from an author with a bias for Adobe, it is a little suspect. But only
a little.