Ah - just realised this is because I've been emailing the APK as an
attachment to a gmail message. For some reason, Chrome is not releasing the
file lock after the message is sent.

So the reason it wasn't a problem with my other projects was because I was
not emailing those APKs :)

Clearly a Chrome issue...