Beside finding the source of the issue, I also found the solution.

If 'android:inputType' used, then 'textMultiLine' must be used to
enable multiLine support.

Also, using 'inputType' supercedes the code
'android:singleLine="false"'.

If using 'inputType', to reiterate, 'textMultiLine' must be used or
the EditText object will only consist of one line without word-
wrapping

Example XML code:

<EditText
  android:id ="@+id/edtInput"
  android:layout_width ="0dip"
  android:layout_height ="wrap_content"
  android:layout_weight ="1"
  android:inputType ="textCapSentences|textMultiLine"
  android:maxLines ="4"
  android:maxLength ="2000"
  android:hint ="@string/compose_hint"/>