What do you know about Java?

The "R" class is built automatically by the Android build process.
(R.java is in your project's gen directory.)   It's mainly a container
for a bunch of inner classes (the R.whatever classes) which in turn
contain numeric constants used by the UI stuff.

All sorts of errors occur when newbies encounter this.  Often folks
will erroneously import an "R" from somewhere (the "R" you want is in
your package and doesn't need an import -- but is your package
specified correctly in your source file?).  Many other pitfalls here,
including some related to the build tools.