It is a change in SDK 0.9 and 1.0 indeed. There is no support for
fading scrollbars currently and there's no plan for supporting this in
the foreseeable future.

I recommend you stick with the current scrollbar model as it is
consistent with the rest of the Android UI.

--
Romain Guy
www.curious-creature.org