Hi Mark,

As I was working through this I also found a sample that does just
this in the API. Posting for anyone who may come across this thread:

public class Tabs3 extends TabActivity {

    @Override
    protected void onCreate(Bundle savedInstanceState) {
        super.onCreate(savedInstanceState);

        final TabHost tabHost = getTabHost();

        tabHost.addTab(tabHost.newTabSpec("tab1")
                .setIndicator("list")
                .setContent(new Intent(this, List1.class)));

        tabHost.addTab(tabHost.newTabSpec("tab2")
                .setIndicator("photo list")
                .setContent(new Intent(this, List8.class)));

        // This tab sets the intent flag so that it is recreated each
time
        // the tab is clicked.
        tabHost.addTab(tabHost.newTabSpec("tab3")
                .setIndicator("destroy")
                .setContent(new Intent(this, Controls2.class)
                        .addFlags(Intent.FLAG_ACTIVITY_CLEAR_TOP)));
    }
}