I'm planning on using code/icons derived some Android framework code
in an upcoming release of my app; what is the appropriate way to do
this? It seems I need to include a NOTICE file somewhere in the app,
do I need to make it something the user can see?

The stuff that I'm using will be a few graphics (status icons and menu
icons) and animations (xml files). I had thought the graphics would be
creative commons licensed, but looking around it seems as though
they're under Apache as well. I'm surprised this isn't mentioned, the
dev guide recommends copying and pasting the framework icons if you
plan to use them but never mentions licensing issues.