So, in following this post....

http://groups.google.com/group/android-developers/browse_thread/thread/e4230ed22c196772?tvc=2

...I started implementing a test multipart message in a short-lived
Activity using only StringBody classes, and ran into the Dalvik VM
Verify error against my class.  It seems to stem from the creation of
the MultipartEntity object I am using for my HTTP POST.

This was built using the latest stable version of MIME4J and HTTPMIME,
along with Apache Commons IO (which isn't really relevant for the
error I don't think).

Source in the offending method is as follows:

private void sendTestMessage(){
                HttpResponse response = null;
                HttpClient connection = new DefaultHttpClient();
                HttpPost upload = new HttpPost(App.WEB_ROOT + App.WEB_SIGNUP);
                MultipartEntity uploadData = new MultipartEntity();

                // Commented code to narrow down verification error

                finish();
}

I can't figure out what is wrong with doing this at all.  Nor can I
figure out why I would be getting a verify error on an opcode as a
result of the MultipartEntity creation.

Does anyone have any ideas or suggestions on how to either fix this
problem, or a workaround?