Given that the screen probably has to rerender the layout as a result
of the change in orientation, I really doubt that's the case.  I'm
also not sure why it would be a pressing issue, since the functions it
uses to do so are things you have to write anyway for normal app
operation.

If you want to force a particular layout each time, however, you can
specify that in the manifest file using android:screenOrientation for
that particular activity.

The screen doesn't flicker (at least in the emulator), but I have no
idea if it will still go through the lifecycle changes as a result.