On Wed, Jul 28, 2010 at 9:24 AM, Joseph Earl <joseph.w.e...@gmail.com>wrote:

> Any chance you guys are working a solution for large applications that
> will work across Android 1.5-2.1?

No those platforms are already exist; it would make no sense to modify them
to support new features.

> Currently the only secure way of doing it is by targeting Froyo only
> (using 8 as minSdkVersion) - however it will be at least a year, more
> likely 3, before this an acceptable solution to present to my clients
> as they obviously want to target as large a market share as possible.

You don't need to use minSdkVersion; you should use targetSdkVersion to say
you are Froyo compatible, and devices on 2.2 and up can install it on the SD
card.  This doesn't make you incompatible with older platforms.  (In fact
you don't need to do that -- you can set min/target SDK to whatever you
want, and just need to compile against the 2.2 SDK so you can use the new
manifest attribute.)

> 3) There is no security on the data stored on the SD card unless the
> files are manually obfuscated or encrypted.

Putting an app on SD card with 2.2 doesn't prevent others from reading it.
 In fact, as the announcement about the licensing server says, we are moving
completely away from forward-locking (read-protecting) apps.

If apps feel the need to protect their data, they can encrypt it themselves.

--
Dianne Hackborn
Android framework engineer

answer them.