Anyone ever use this API: switchInputMethod?

I want to switch my IME from in my code.When I call this API,
sometimes the IME switched sometimes not.
When the requested IME not launched or display in the screen, the
original IME still remain in the screen, but cannot commit text into
the box.

Or another alternative way to do same thing ?

>From the comment in InputMethodService.java
    /**
     * Force switch to a new input method, as identified by <var>id</
var>.  This
     * input method will be destroyed, and the requested one started
on the
     * current input field.
     *
     * @param id Unique identifier of the new input method ot start.
     */
public void switchInputMethod(String id) { ....

Does it mean we lost the connection between editor and IME?

Is there any procedure or prerequisite needed?

I found it also reported as issue#8725.
http://code.google.com/p/android/issues/detail?id=8725

Thanks in advance