Al - I am running on XP, and seeing ADB behaving rather erratically
with my G1.

It will sometimes show it online, as it should, sometimes show it
offline, and sometimes show multiple (2-10) instances of it, all
offline. Killing and restarting the server seems to render it
temporarily sensible, but only temporarily. It rarely works for long
enough to start a debug session from Eclipse, and often hangs Eclipse
if I look at the Devices tab.

I have no idea how to fix it, but it seems to me there is probably
something adrift in the G1 device driver. I'll let you know if I find
any more.

Richard