My guess? I'd guess that you're expecting it to immediately show up,
and you're continuing to do something right afterwards.

It will not show up until after you exit from the method.

Toast.show() queues up a request to show it, it doesn't actually do
anything on the screen itself. (It can't). It's not until you return
back to the event-handling loop that the toast can be shown.

At least, that's the usual reason.

Note that this is also true in an Activity. If you call show() in an
activity, and follow it with Thread.sleep(60*1000), it won't show up
until a minute later, after the sleep returns.

By the way -- toast does not display IN an activity. It shows up IN
FRONT OF an activity. That is, the activity is not affected, the toast
is just in front of it briefly. In this case, the activity is not
really involved at all.