I do the same on a Samsung Galaxy S with 2.1update1 and 2.2 without a
problem. The approach you described is correct.
My intent filter looks similar:

             <intent-filter>
                <action android:name="android.intent.action.MAIN"/>
                <category
android:name="android.intent.category.LAUNCHER"/>
                <category android:name="android.intent.category.HOME"/

                <category
android:name="android.intent.category.DEFAULT"/>
            </intent-filter>

When you press the home button first, you should get a dialog where to
choose the home application to use, which is where the user can
optionally tick a checkbox to set the selected app as the default home
screen, so that the dialog won't show again.
So, this dialog only comes up on the emulator but never appeared on
your real phone?