I also have a Bluetooth app that I developed using a Nexus One and I
am finding that some carriers have disabled Bluetooth serial in their
phones, presumably to prevent tethering.  I don't know if this is the
case with the phone you tested with or not but this might be the way
they are preventing the BT connection.  With the Verizon Droid, it
makes the connection and then immediately drops it.