Thanks for the info. It's clear now.

"enable adb by hand": I don't want to deliver the device with adb
enabled, because I don't want the end-user to be able to do anything
with adb.

Scenario is that my client (very non-technical) does the data sync
between PC application and Android device (using adb in the
background), so all he needs to do is plug in the device and sync from
within the Android application. In fact, he cannot even leave the
application.
So everything should be handled from the application, incl. enabling
adb end disabling adb when the data sync is completed.

This non-technical client will hand/rent out the device to other
people for daily usage. I don't want those people to be mess around
with adb in any way.