To clarify what I meant by C being the choice over Java for Android.. I simply meant that in order to compete with iPhone on their native games and audio applications (BeatMaker, other synth apps, etc), once Google provides us with OpenAL (or something similar??) and better 2D/3D video access to the underlying hardware via APIs, You'll see a lot more C code in games and music apps than Java. I am not saying it will all go that way.. you still need the Java to get things rolling. For most apps, and even quite a few game varieties, I think Java is the way to go.

I just wish it was already available. Hopefully 3.0 will usher in the native audio/video support that iPhone developers enjoy and we'll finally be able to make multi-touch music apps for Android. I know that BeatMaker alone was responsible for 1000's of iTouch sales, and the app was $20 to boot. There is a lot of potential, especially with the larger tablet screens, for really robust music apps, as well as much better games, once we have these capabilities. I am sure this will be available at some point.. I just wish it was sooner than later. Having to pass audio buffers back up through JNI to be played is very slow and limiting. I wont exclaim to be an expert tho.. I've not yet had the pleasure of working with NDK, but I did buy a book and read some articles on it's current limitations.

Hence, why I said what I said.

On 8/13/2010 2:35 AM, Ralf Schneider wrote:
I forget! There is hope: NaCl is doing it right (IMHO)!
May be Android will one day get fast apps via PNaCl (nativeclient.googlecode.com/svn/data/site/pnacl.pdf <http://nativeclient.googlecode.com/svn/data/site/pnacl.pdf>)