Sun would never have freely licensed their mobile JVM/KVM, they made way too
much money for that. The problem for Oracle now is the emergence of iPhone
and Android is seriously chipping away at Java ME distribution on handsets.
Now you have countries intending to ban blackberry service (which uses Java
ME for it's applications). Android devices are a likely replacement for
blackberry users who are outside of the US.

Sun did realize the potential threat of Android early; but Sun's solution
was to do more market research and study before acting, while Google charged
forward and executed. It was really sad to see Sun go like it did. They did
so many good things for various communities. They created the JCP to get
industry involvement in numerous specs, including mobile; but in many ways
the JSR groups could be dysfunctional, slow and ineffective (imagine having
ego driven techies from numerous handset manufactures in the same room). In
the end, Sun was like a deer in the headlights, unable to adapt to rapid
industry changes. Google kept tight control of the technology and didn't
need to build consensuses for it's mobile technologies.

On Fri, Aug 13, 2010 at 11:46 AM, DanH <danhi...@ieee.org> wrote:

> Hard to say.  I don't know if the tendency in lawsuits is to list the
> most significant first, or the least significant.
>
> Can't speak to the possibility of copyright infringement.  If the
> developers of the Android environment have good documentation for
> using "cleanroom" procedures that's a big help, but doesn't get them
> out of the woods.  Without that documentation it could be a bit rough.
>
> I do wish that Sun had fully opensourced and open licensed Java like
> they were planning to several years back.  I'm guessing the plan was
> killed when Oracle began negotiating with them.
>
> On Aug 13, 1:18 pm, Fabrizio Giudici <fabrizio.giud...@tidalwave.it>
> wrote:

Shane Isbell (Founder of ZappMarket)
http://apps.facebook.com/zappmarket/