This is my second reply to the same post. I was going to double check
by visiting your flickr site before finishing my first post, but my
computer registered a mouse click prematurely, sending my previous
post before I could do that:(

So now that I have seen your flickr photos, I see my proposed
explanation is not quite right: you are always using the same angle,
0. So I suggest varying the vertical offsets to see if that makes the
thickening go away. Also, I assume that you do not see this thickening
if LINE_SMOOTH is disabled. Is that the case?