Thanks.  With that change it's better, but still not quite right.  Let
me try to describe exactly what I'm seeing.

My layout consists of a GLSurfaceView that fills most of the screen,
and some buttons at the bottom.  The hierarchy is as follows:

LinearLayout1
  GLSurfaceView
  LinearLayout2
    Button1
    Button2

When I first run the activity, it comes out basically correct.  That
is, it lays out the view the size of the full screen, but pushed down
by the height of the notification bar so the buttons are sticking off
the bottom.  But you only see that for a fraction of a second.  Then
the notification bar slides off, and the view slides up to fit the
screen.  All is good.

Now I hit the Home button to return to the home screen.  Then I hold
down Home to get the list of recent applications and select mine.
This time things get drawn differently.  When the notification bar
slides off, the GLSurfaceView slides up to the correct place.  And the
buttons slide up within LinearLayout2.  But the bounds of
LinearLayout2 do NOT get updated.  So I'm left with a gap between the
GLSurfaceView and the buttons, and the top half of the buttons get cut
off.

Does that make sense?

Peter