I don't know if there's a rule of thumb to follow here, but I know
that when I get a number of possible preview sizes listed (such as
640x480, 720x480, 800x480) all sizes that don't match the aspect ratio
of the picture (i.e. 4:3) seem to get cropped. In practice I've found
that (with the sizes listed above), 720x480 is in fact 720x540, and
800x480 is probably 800x600. In the 720x480 case, for example, what
you're seeing is a 720x540 image with 30px shaved off each side of the
540 dimension.

When I snap a photo in 720x480, the frozen preview briefly shown
onscreen is actually the 720x540 image, with the 540 dimension
compressed to 480px.