Data directories are private to their respective applications, and Home and
your application are two separate apps. The widget preference activity can
display the image since it belongs to the same application.

As for workaround - not sure, but perhaps you could make it work with a
ContentProvider.

--
Kostya Vasilyev -- http://kmansoft.wordpress.com