Not sure what this could be.  The following code draws two circles for me:

public void draw(Canvas canvas, MapView view, boolean shadow) {
        //if (!shadow) return;

        Point center = new Point(canvas.getWidth() / 2, canvas.getHeight() /
2);
        int radius = (int) (Math.min(canvas.getWidth(), canvas.getHeight())
* 0.4);
        Paint paint = new Paint();
        paint.setStyle(Paint.Style.STROKE);
        paint.setStrokeWidth(3);
        paint.setAntiAlias(true);

        if (shadow) {
            center.offset(5, 5);
            paint.setARGB(255, 150, 150, 150);
        }

        canvas.drawCircle(center.x, center.y, radius, paint);
    }

If I uncomment the "if (!shadow) return;", it draws just the gray circle.
 If I change it to "if (shadow) return;", it draws just the black circle.

Steve