I have been seeing the same issue as John for a few weeks now, but
have not posted about it because I do have a working Droid, also.  I
think it's an issue with the device, but I cannot confirm that.  Here
is what I know:

* I have two Droids.  One is recognized by adb when connected, and the
other is not.  I have been through every setting on the device and
have been fully unable to attach one of the two Droids, ever.
* BOTH droids have the same software -- Firmware: 2.1-update1
Baseband version: C_01.3E.03P  Kernel: 2.6.29-omap1-g7fa8788android-
bu...@apa26 #1   Build number: ESE81
* USB debugging, Allow Mock Locations, and Unknown sources are all
checked on both devices
* None of my other 5 android phones have ever done this, including the
third droid that belongs to my gal.

Busted Droid connected:
     $ adb devices
     List of devices attached

Working Droid connected:
     $ adb devices
     List of devices attached
     040362610D009006        device

I have not found the "Portal & Tools" menu Kostya is talking about...

For the life of me I cannot find out why the busted droid never
connects to ADB.  I can't debug or sideload on the crappy one.  It's
only for release testing at this point.

Anyone else seen this issue or know more about it?

Ben