This is a problem for all kinds of software.  Including PC software.
It is not something unique to Android.
The only solution I can think of is try to ping or reach an ip that is
always up.

http://developingthedream.blogspot.com/,
http://diastrofunk.com,
http://www.youtube.com/user/revoltingx, ~Isaiah 55:8-9